Friday, April 13, 2012

My German Dual-Reading Method For Learning Explained

Hallo Freunde!

I think I may (in a few months) switch over to writing this blog as dual-language, with my posts being in both English and German. For now, I'm not 100% comfortable with my grammar and sentence structure to do it yet.

My books arrived and I came up with a system that I am going to test while trying to tackle these books:

Supplies needed: The German text, a pen and notebook, my Bilingual learner's dictionary, the text in English (if possible).

My plan:
1. Read a sentence from the German text. If I understand, I proceed to the next sentence. If not, I move to step 2.

2. I look up major words in my Dictionary that I don't understand (primarily nouns and verbs as adjectives and adverbs can often be deduced by context).

3. I write down these words with their translations in my notebook. This writing will help reinforce the word and it's meaning.

4. After I have determined what I think the sentence says, I can move on to the next sentence. When I have completed a paragraph, I can verify my translation of the paragraph with the English translation to confirm if I missed any major pieces of information.

5. Afterwards, I can determine from my list of words if there are any that are important enough to make into flashcards.

I have already started with Der Kleine Prinz and have found it surprisingly suited to my reading level. I have had to look up my share of words, but it is actually going slightly better than I had imagined.

I will continue to update as I continue my journey.

Bis bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment